Friday 10 August 2012

A few thoughts


In much of my working life in whatever form, (my 'career' path has been a little unusual, but that's another story) I've always spent time around vulnerable children and families in some context or other. The issues which vulnerable women in our nation face are often on my mind, and I have spent many an hour in a sexual health clinic, police station, ante natal ward or Social services meeting attempting to provide some small level of support to women facing the multitude of problems they face.

Clearly if you read this blog regularly you'll know that the last two years I haven't had the capacity to be involved in such activities, and if I'm honest, I really miss it. Yes there is some level of satisfaction one gets from knowing that I am in some way contributing just a little to the lives of others, but more than that I think it keeps things in perspective. In the UK we are so unbelievable good at masking the problems our people face, and I live in a very privileged place, both physically and emotionally. But SO many women don't. And it's not just cos i've made 'good choices'........... that mindset really bothers me. I have just been 'blessed', 'lucky' whatever you want to label it as. I miss spending time around women drastically different from myself, I learn from them, laugh with them, and often come away feeling like I have gained something I just can't quite put my finger on. I have learnt the hard way that I am certainly not the answer to their problems, and there are other people far better positioned to actually bring lasting change to their lives. But I still know that I have a small role to play, me in their lives and they in mine.

Anyway, I digress. In an attempt for me not to loose touch entirely with the practise, ethics and policy which affects the beautiful women I'm talking about, I try to listen to and read up on debate about these issues. I often forget to share these linkys on this blog, but tonight, I remembered.

This one is really interesting. You can get the link here, or log onto iTunes, go to podcasts, and the BBC 'inside the ethics committee' is where you'll find it.

This one is about preventing pregnancy in homeless women.

I'd love to hear your comments if you listen to it. Just type them in below where it says 'comment'



No comments:

Post a Comment